O-rings are donut-shaped gaskets used in a number of industries as protection against air and fluid leaks. With their circular cross-section, they can seal under pressure in any direction, making them ideal for a variety of applications in the industrial, automotive, aerospace, and construction sectors, among others. This reliable bidirectional sealing capability is why standard and custom O-rings have been one of the most popular sealing solutions for decades.
How Does an O-Ring Work?
O-rings are placed in a groove between two pieces of hardware to take up any extra space between those surfaces and block air or liquids from getting through. When pressure is applied, the O-ring squeezes against the hardware and strengthens the seal. When the pressure releases, the device returns to its original shape, continuing to take up the extra space and provide a reliable seal. Its ability to return to its original shape through repeated use makes the O-ring effective in dynamic as well as static pressure situations.
O-rings are made of different materials depending on the application. When choosing a material, you’ll need to consider temperature ranges, tolerances, the type of hardware being sealed, the amount of pressure (and whether it’s dynamic or static), how long you need the O-ring to last, installation requirements, and the type of substances the O-ring may come into contact with.
Whether you need custom O-rings to resist abrasion, corrosion, oil, acids, alkalis, sparks, water, or other environmental factors, we can help you choose the material that’s right for you. At MSP Seals, we work with a wide range of materials to ensure your O-rings meet your specifications. These include:
- Nitrile Butadiene Rubber (NBR, Buna-N)
- EPDM (EP)
- Polyurethane Rubber (AU, EU)
- Fluorocarbon (V, FKM, FPM, FFKM, FFPM)
- Butyl Rubber (IIR)
- Neoprene / Chloroprene (CR)
- Polyacrylate (ACM)
- Silicone (Si)
- Fluorosilicone (FSi)
- Carbon Steel / Stainless Steel (304, 316, 316L, etc)
Benefits of Using O-Rings
Lightweight, cost-effective, and easy to use, O-rings have been a go-to sealing solution for years. They hold up in a variety of pressure, tolerance, and temperature ranges, and they can seal in any direction while returning to their original shape when pressure is relieved. Because they can be made from so many materials, you can customize your O-rings for your unique needs.
Other benefits of custom O-rings include:
- Easy to install and maintain. There is no need for special tools or experience when installing O-rings, and they’re easy to maintain since they don’t require tightening.
- No damage. There’s little risk of damage to the hardware when applying an O-ring because they don’t have to be twisted into place.
- The durability of O-rings is directly correlated to the material they are made from. The better the material, the longer your O-rings will last.
- Gradual failure. O-ring failure is easy to identify and usually happens gradually, eliminating surprise malfunctions.
Custom O-Rings from MSP Seals
O-rings from MSP Seals are used in both OEM and MRO applications across industries. Standard and custom O-ring solutions are available in all standard inch and metric sizes, and we also offer X-rings and a selection of O-ring cords. We can accommodate single-piece to high volume production runs, and we offer engineering assistance, inventory management, full PPAP capabilities, packaging and labeling, and much more.
As an ISO 9001:2015 certified company, we’re dedicated to creating high-quality products that meet or exceed your expectations. For more information, or to get started on your custom O-ring solution, contact us today.